Monday, August 26, 2013

Naturally Melanie Bella Brooks

 
What's Crack-A-Lackin Atlanta! Well, Personally I'm on the edge of my seat with excitement, because today I get to interview the gorgeous Ms. Melanie Bella Brooks! With that being said, let's get right down to it, because I feel that we could all learn a thing or two from this Natural Hair Guru!
 
 
Cherry Curl: Ms. Brooks, will you please let the world know what city you rep.
Melanie:  Atlanta GA, All day!
Cherry Curl: (laughs) I never get tired of hearing that.
 
Cherry Curl: OK, so, how long have you been natural?
Melanie: My last relaxer was December 2009
 
 

 
Cherry Curl: Did you Big Chop or were you a Transitioner?
Melanie: I transitioned for a very long time. I was prepared to be a long term transitioner to avoid cutting my hair. However, in 2010 a stylist involuntarily gave me a partial big chop which shortened my transition. I officially remember finally having little to no relaxed ends by the end of 2011.


Cherry Curl: Melanie, could you please give us an overview of your haircare routine, because we would all love to know how you've achieved and continue to maintain that lovely, thick lioness mane of your's?

Melanie: Now that Ive been natural for a few years, I have tried to keep it simple. I used to be a product junkie, but now I just stick to what works. The key in my regimen is to cleanse, condition, strengthen, moisturize, and define. For shampoos, when wearing my hair natural, I stick to Shea Moisture Curl and Shine and when my hair is straightened, I use a gentle sulfate shampoo like Beautiful Textures or Tresemme Naturals. My favorite conditioners are Organic Root Stimulator Deep Conditioner, Everyday Coconut Conditioner, and Traders Joes Tea Tree Conditioner. I love using natural items for deep conditioners. Alot of the time, I use eggs for strengthening, yogurt for dry scalp, and honey for moisture. For styling, I use Shea Moisture Curling Smoothie, Eco Styler Gel and Coconut Oil to seal. My favorite oils are: Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, and Argan Oil.
 
 
 
 

Cherry Curl: OK ladies, are you taking notes, because I am...Lol!
 
Cherry Curl: Not to long ago, here on Naturally Atlanta we discussed the importance of Protective Styles, so Melanie, please tell us what are some of your favorite protective styles?
Melanie:  From April to October, every year, I go with NO HEAT. During this time, I have fun with wigs, braids, buns, and up dos. It gives me a chance to give my hair a break. Alot of the time, Ill condition my hair, cornrow it, then wear a wig for about 2 weeks. I notice I retain length when I contain my hair and don't let it out for a few weeks.
 




Cherry Curl: What do you love most about being natural?
Melanie: VERSATILITY. I have realized that my natural hair has just become an extension of my style. I feel like I stand out more and that natural hair tends to make you more unique because no one will ever have your exact hair texture in comparison to just straight relaxed hair. Ive always been someone who likes to dress boldly, sharp, and overall different so, natural hair gives me the freedom to try out funky styles that I couldn't do on relaxed limp hair. When I was relaxed I was always the girl that wore the same hairstyle all the time. I didn't start getting creative with my hair until I went natural, ironically. Most important, I love being natural because of the health aspect. Going natural was the choice to refuse to put toxic chemicals on my scalp every month all for cosmetic appeal. "Going natural" encourages me to go natural in all aspects.
 
 
 
 
 
Cherry Curl: Wow, what you said is really inspirational, and I have to say that I can totally relate.
 
Cherry Curl: Well Melanie, it has definitely been a pleasure learning from you, is there anything more that you would like to add, pertaining to how you keep your  hair so healthy, shiney, and soft... ect. ?
Melanie: I think the key for me is what goes on internally. I notice when I take my vitamins religiously and watch what I eat and drink my hair has an internal shine. Ive realized there is no oil I can ever find that can give me the shine that vitamins and proper diet do. Some of the vitamins I have used are Hairfinity; Hair, Skin, and Nails, and A Daily Multi-Vitamin.
 
 
 
 

 
Cherry Curl: Thank you so much Melanie for your time and letting us in on all of your secrets! Everyone, please  check out my girl Melanie @theefairytail on YTUBE and IG!
 
 
 
 
 
It just goes to show that you never know how much time and effort goes into achieving a head full of beautiful, healthy hair! As you can see, there's no miracle potion or quick fix. The effort you put into it, determines what you get out of it!
 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment